Monday, January 19, 2009

Bollywood strikes again

My parents have some pictures of my Grandpa Carter from when he was a student at UCLA in the '30s. When I decided to attend UCLA, my mom got really excited to take pictures of me in the same spots. We did a lot of investigating to figure out where they were taken; my first year, I even met with a person from the Alumni Association who was working on a book about the history of UCLA. Needless to say, I've now been at UCLA over 2 1/2 years, will graduate in 4 months, and we still haven't taken the pictures.
My mom came to visit today and we realized it would be a perfect day to finally accomplish our goal. We grabbed the camera and headed up to campus. First, my mom wanted a picture sitting in a law school classroom since she's always kinda wanted to go to law school. As I took that, however, I noticed the camera was almost out of battery. We decided there would be no more pictures until we got to our special spots.
As we headed over to the library where we would take the first picture, we could see there were some stretch limos parked along the street. And then I saw a big crowd holding signs and surrounding a bunting-clad pulpit. And then we saw the entire courtyard was roped off and had security guards blocking the sidewalk. They were filming a movie! And not just any movie, but a Bollywood movie! First of all, I thought the whole point of Bollywood was that they could make movies without having to shoot in L.A. Secondly, how ironic is it that we wait 2 1/2 years to take these pictures, and our attempts are thwarted by the filming of a foreign musical? It also begs the question as to whether there is an Indian equivalent of Lou Dobbs shouting about the outsourcing of Bollywood movies.
So anyway, our historical shoot was not to be. Maybe there'll come another day.

3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

But that is one cute pic of Mom and Carter!

Phyllis said...

you are right, Mary Ann. That is a cute and happy picture!

Kathy said...

Looks like Carter loved the outing...even if you didn't get to do what was on the agenda! Carter is one cute boy!