Sunday, May 18, 2008

Working Man

I started work at Hughes Hubbard & Reed on Monday. I thought they were going to put me in a little cubicle, but when I showed up, they took me to my own office, complete with a giant desk that takes up half the room, a separate computer desk, a wall size bookshelf that's completely devoid of books, and a huge dresser (also empty). They also said I'll be getting my "Mr. Crall" door tag in a few days. The most surreal part is that I have a secretary. You know, for all the important legal work I do. Basically, the only thing she has to do for me is record my hours.
Since I'm on the 36th floor, I also have a great view. Unfortunately, that view is of Southeast L.A., so maybe it's not actually all that great. Although it was clear enough on Friday that I could see all the way into Long Beach.



3 comments:

Phyllis said...

Chris-that is really exciting about you office, and your view, and your door plate, and especially your secratary!
Congratulations!!!

Driel said...

Wow! You have a secretary. You are moving up in the world.

SGarff said...

Chirs, Your post reminded me of this John Hartford piece. I think it’s designed to make people quit their jobs:
Someday my Baby when I am a man, and others have taught me the best that they can,
they'll sell me a suit and cut off my hair and send me to work in tall buildings
So it's goodbye to the sunshine, goodbye to the dew, goodbye to the flowers and goodbye to you
I'm off to the subway, I must not be late, I'm going to work in tall buildings
When I retire, my life is my own, I've made all my payments, it's time to go home
and wonder what happened betwixed and between, when I went to work in tall buildings.
-John Hartford