Monday, October 19, 2009

I got a job!

It's with a firm called Wood Smith Henning & Berman. They're headquartered in Westwood in the Helio building right on Westwood and Wilshire, but I'll be in their Rancho Cucamonga office. The entire firm has about 80 attorneys in offices throughout California, Phoenix, Vegas, and Denver. The Rancho Cucamonga office does mostly construction litigation, which I have no background whatsoever in, but it's always fun to learn new aspects of the law (and by "always", I mean "sometimes, depending on what it is"; and I think construction litigation will be one those things, unlike, for instance, the tax implications for the sale of securities under Sarbanes-Oxley). I start November 9 and Bar results come out two weeks later. My offer is contingent on my passing the Bar, so let's hope I did so.
I got an interview with WSHB through one of their attorneys who is in my parents' ward at church. He works in their Riverside office, but he knew an attorney had just left the RC office, so he sent my resume in. I interviewed on Monday and they offered me the job on Wednesday. Of course, I then had to fill out an 8 page application, including my job history for the past 10 years (which at this point in my life is basically full of three month summer jobs, which makes for a lot of writing) even though I already had an offer and had already accepted. During my interview, I was impressed that the people I interviewed with really did seem to like the firm. In response to my question about what they liked best about the firm, all four immediately answered "the people". So, that's positive. Obviously, I won't be able to form my own opinion until I begin, but it's an encouraging initial sign.
When I got the offer on Wednesday, I was excited, but Lorein was jumping up and down the hallway. Apparently she's tired of living with my parents.:) Carter's reaction, however, was priceless -- Also, when Carter heard the news, he immediately turned on his favorite song, threw off his shirt, and started dancing.





Unfortunately, I can't get him to dance longer because when he sees I'm taping him, he just wants to sit on my lap and watch. He doesn't yet understand there's nothing to watch if he won't let me tape him! Wow, that's a real modern day chicken and egg problem for you.

13 comments:

Erica said...

Yay! That's so exciting. We head out that direction regularly to visit Tom's aunt in Redlands so we will have to get together some time.

I loved the video of Carter dancing. He's getting so grown up!

betsey said...

Nora LOVES the Carter dancing video. The only problem is that I have to hit the replay button every 10 seconds. Can you make a longer Carter dancing video? :) Nora would be very grateful.

Congrats on the job! We can't wait to see you guys!!!!

Rich and Cheryl said...

Congrats. There is nothing better than moving out of the parents home. I was secretly hoping you would have taken the Jag job and move here. Wren I called you a few weeks ago and apparently you don't have the same phone number anymore. You punk but I guess I can take a hint too.

Clare said...

Clint just started training on Friday for his first "real job." Yay for real jobs! Though we may end up back with my parents for a few months during the house finding/buying process.

KB said...

Cool and congrats! Are you looking for a place in Rancho then?

Driel said...

He has some sweet moves! I loved the hand in the air. Congratulations to all of you!

Katie said...

Congrats! What great news! Especially in today's legal market.

And, Carter is a stud. Although I'm a little sad his favorite song isn't an old Usher.

April Celeste Garff said...

That's amazing news! Steve told me you guys are getting a townhouse---congrats on becoming full fledged adults----house, kid, job, spouse. We are so happy for you all. Hopefully Steve is next.

Mary Ann said...

Carter has very good taste in music! I didn't know you guys were planning on buying a townhouse....sis you find one yet?

Kathy said...

Hooray! Carter and Lorein no how to celebrate. Congrats...best news of the day!

Melanie said...

Wonderful news! I am so glad for you.

Beverly said...

Whoo hoo! I'm so happy for you! And by the way, Carter has EXCELLENT taste in music!!

Jen said...

congrats on the job!