Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Presidents' Day in Phoenix

We spent Presidents' Day weekend in Phoenix for the J. Reuben Clark Law Society National Conference, as well as to visit Renee and the kids. Well, we were actually just needing a place to stay, so we were forced to visit them. The weekend was a lot of fun despite its inauspicious beginning. We left L.A. at 8 and were still fighting traffic 45 minutes later. It's almost 9 o'clock and we're still in traffic?! I think a lot of it had to do with Valentine's though -- all those people going out to eat. But back to my narrative. For some reason, I had it stuck in my head that it only took 4 hours to get to Phoenix. After driving for over 2 hours, though, I saw a road sign saying "Phoenix 250 miles". That was still 3 1/2 hours away! I kept hoping it was wrong. I was only mentally prepared for a 4 hour trip, and now it was going to be almost 6 hours. How was I going to stay awake? Luckily, I had Lorein there to keep me company. Oh wait, she went to sleep at 9 -- before we were even out of the greater L.A. area! I spent the rest of the trip trying to sing along to songs I didn't know in order to stay awake. Around 1:30, it struck me that Arizona's in a different time zone. So, we ended up getting to Renee's house at 3 am, when I had told her we'd be there around midnight. Needless to say, we slept in until around 10 Friday morning.
The rest of the weekend was a lot of fun, although I'm not going into detail because this is a blog, not a travelogue. We enjoyed the conference a lot -- Sandra Day O'Connor gave a great speech on ethics and I also really liked the breakout sessions we attended ("How to survive as young associate", and info on judicial clerkships). Saturday, we did a lot of shopping and went to the Titanic exhibit. That night, we went to dinner. One of the menu items was "jerk chicken". I said, "Renee, you should get the jerk chicken." Everyone laughed. Like I said, a great weekend.

1 comment:

Phyllis said...

Cute pictures! You are looking pregnant, Lorein