Friday, October 10, 2008

Short political comment

And now for a break from our regularly scheduled programming for a short political comment: I was against the bailout before I was for it. Actually, I was never for it. My commentary isn't really about that though -- it's about the way it got passed. Originally, the Republicans shot it down because of moral hazard, an opposition to government intervention, etc. In response, the bailout's supporters stuck some tax breaks into it in an overt attempt to get some of those Republicans to support it. AND IT WORKED!! I just thought it was funny that Republican politicians are so slavishly pro-tax cut now that they'll support stuff that goes against everything else they believe in if you throw one in. Like tossing a steak to a guard dog to get him away from the window.

No comments: