Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Baseball

Carter attended his first baseball game on Saturday, and when I say "attended", I mean he and Lorein left after the second inning. It was a disaster from the beginning. First, it was supposed to be a cool evening, so we bought him some Thermal underwear which Lorein supplemented with a onesie, a pair of pants, another onesie, and a jacket. After a few minutes, he was sweating like crazy and started to cry. Second, the baseball game started at 7p, so it was right in the middle of his time-to-get-ready-for-bed time. We thought he would just sleep at the game, but then we got to the stadium and realized it wasn't going to happen. It was a playoff game. Which meant it was a playoff crowd. A normal baseball game involves a few exciting moments which energize the crowd, but a playoff crowd is excited the entire time. The crowd was so loud even during pregame introductions that Lorein couldn't hear Carter screaming his head off. He was not a fan of the noise. He also has a stubborn streak that won't let him eat when people are around. So, he spent the game hungry, tired, and screaming. Supposedly he immediately got happy when Lorein (accompanied by my mom and Mary Ann) got to the car and he realized he was going home. I hope I didn't traumatize him against baseball forever!
As for the game, it was awesome. Well, it was awesome for me. Skip and his family came out to support the Cubs, and it wasn't awesome for them. I really can't believe the Dodgers swept them. The Cubs had the best record in the National League and the highest run differential, and they got swept. This really was supposed to be their year. I honestly thought destiny was on their side. I mean, 100 years is a big round number. But I guess now it'll just be 101.
Anyway, I don't think I traumatized Carter because when I got home and told him the Dodgers won, he was pretty excited. Or maybe it was just because he was imagining himself as Tom Selleck.

(**Note from Lorein: The way Chris told the story it sounded like I just let Carter scream until the second inning and kept him in his hot clothes. Don't worry I'm not that immune to his cries even if I couldn't hear him. I immediately took off his layers and went and found an area by the ticket office that was open and out of the stands. He was perfectly content to let me walk around up there in the open air away from the boistrous crowd. It just took me until the 2nd inning to realize this was pointless since I wasn't watching the game anyway. And I knew Carter was going to need to eat at some point and Dodger stadium doesn't exactly have quiet places to nurse, especially at a playoff game. So we left. I would also like it noted that I warned Chris that it would most likely end in tears, but even I did not comprehend how loud the crowd was going to be. Oh and he forgot to mention that I got lost in the parking lot because I couldn't remember where we parked. Of course we couldn't reach Chris or anyone in the game on their cell phones, but I did finally find the car. Thanks to Mary Ann and Shari for not get frustrated with me. Go Dodgers.)

8 comments:

betsey said...

Yikes! I'm so sorry that Carter didn't love his first baseball game. I'm sure that he isn't scarred for life and will go on to be a huge baseball fan!

I love the last picture. Wow, he is so adorable!!!

Britney and Jaron said...

Isn't it funny how guys interpret things differently than how girls do?! That is too bad about only staying until the 2nd inning. We took Lexi to a high school volleyball game that my friend was the coach of, and she hated it too. It probably wasn't even half as loud as a baseball statium but it was rough. Jaron had to take her out cause she wouldn't eat and it was near her bedtime as well. I guess as moms we should know better than to mess up their routines! :)

Kathy said...

I'm glad you both shared your versions of the game...If only Carter could tell us his! He is getting so big and he is super cute.

Shari said...

that is the cutest funniest picture ever! what a kid.

Breezy said...

ohhh poor carter!! what if he will never like baseball?? how sad...all because of one game. :)

that really is the cutest picture ever!

Phyllis said...

Too bad he is not a natural fan for baseball. I am sure he will get better.

Katie said...

Carter wasn't scared. He would just rather be at a phillies game. Can you blame him?

Unknown said...

that kid is a fat cat! The best great-Grandma (Riley)