Saturday, May 2, 2009

I'm done

So, I had my final final this past Thursday. In other words, I am done with law school. It's pretty weird. It's also a little anti-climactic since I'm done with school, but I just have to start studying for the Bar Exam in a few weeks. Still, it's crazy. It's hard to believe we've been here 3 years. The weirdest thing, though, is how things have truly come full circle. I mean, when I was applying for law schools, part of my personal statement concerned whether the Dodgers should re-sign Jeff Weaver. They didn't. But then they just gave him a minor league contract before this season and called him up to the majors on, you guessed it, Thursday. Talk about eerie.
On a related note, we were really worried I was going to graduate jobless, especially since this recession has pummeled the legal industry, but last week I got an offer from Army JAG. While I haven't accepted (and won't actually incur any military obligation until I take the oath of office, which can't be before December since I have to pass the Bar first), it's good to know I at least have something. Now, for those of you who gasped when you read I am thinking about joining the Army, let me go through the pros and cons:

Cons
5 months of extra training including a modified boot camp
Possibility of deployment
Low salary

Pros

Every JAG officer I talk to absolutely LOVES his or her job
No billable hours
Generous housing stipend (tax free)
Free medical benefits
No billable hours
Food stipend (tax free)
I get to shoot a really big gun
Work 9-5
No billable hours
Chance to see the world
Retirement benefits
Tax credits
30 days paid vacation
Chance to work in multiple issue areas
Did I mention there's no billable hours?

So anyway, while I haven't yet decided that is what I want to do, it is our only offer as of the moment. And it's a pretty good job.

9 comments:

SGarff said...

Hey! Don''t rub in the fact that you're done to all us who still have finals left. By the way my word verification is "swelice." I'm not sure what it is but I don't want it.

Katie said...

Hey that is great news! Glen thought about JAG for awhile too. It is a great option to have. We definitely are wishing we didn't have to deal with billable hours right now. Good luck with your decision!

Kent said...

Seems like a pretty good deal with all the benefits. And there is something really nice about working from 9-5. Seems like you could have a semi-normal life. 30 days paid vacation is pretty sweet too. This seems like a great deal. If you end up taking it, any chance you could end up in Charlottesville for training? There's a Pocahontas statue there that I need to get a picture of.......

- Kent

Shari said...

Christopher Crall, we are so proud of you! Congratulations on finishing law school -- you and Lorein have done so well! You are lucky to have each other.

I am glad you are excited about the JAG offer. I do see it as increasing my liberal cred -- I can say I have a son serving in the Army! Just like Joe Biden. Well, I don't know if his son is in the army, but one of those things in uniform -- I can see I need an education. Do the armies guys say Hoorah?

Kathy said...

One offer is so great...maybe things will start to improve and after the summer you will have lots of offers...good luck with studying and taking the bar.

Driel said...

Yahooo! Chris, that is really nice to not have billable hours. A big gun would also look good on you. I cannot believe it has been 3 years. Congrats!

Unknown said...

Good luck studying and passing the bar. I think Dave never felt like school was over, until the bar was over. Then you realize " what did I do all of this for? Just to work my life away?" So for you, and you're new job offer, it wouldn't be working your life away. You'd still have one, with your little family. SO, just as a reminder of how cool a job like JAG could be.... Im writing this at 8:42 pm while dave is still at work. He's been there since 7 am. Congrats and good luck with all of your decisions!

Beverly said...

NO BILLABLE HOURS!!!! I'm so happy to hear that JAG has extended you an offer...it's helpful to have an option! And yay for being done with law school! (I totally relate about the anticlimatic thing!)

The 'Chard said...

We're so proud! Congratulations on finishing and securing an offer!