Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A moving story 2

In preparation for moving, we wanted to get rid of a lot of furniture, both to make moving easier and because we had limited storage space. After a half-hearted attempt to sell it on Craigslist with no takers, I called DI to set up a pick-up. We decided to get rid of our huge entertainment center, massive big screen tv, overstuffed chair, kitchen chairs, nightstand, and computer desk. Over the phone, the DI lady told me the movers could not come up to the apartment, so I would have to take it down to the sidewalk. I informed her that I lived on a street that was all apartments and I didn't really want to take a bunch of furniture down to the sidewalk and leave it all day. She understood my concern and told me I could call the day of and get a three-hour window for when the DI truck would arrive.
So, Thursday morning rolled around and I called up DI to get my three-hour window. The lady said I was third on the list, which meant the truck would arrive around 10. With this information in hand, I started hauling everything down -- first the computer desk, then the chair, then the nightstand, then the kitchen chairs, and then the tv. That's when the fun began. Within three minutes of my putting the tv on the sidewalk, a truck pulled up and the driver hauled it away. He also took all of the chairs. I have no idea how he knew there was stuff on the sidewalk, but I'm not kidding when I say he was there within three minutes. Then, as I stuffed the first part of the entertainment center into the elevator, I noticed a family from the neighboring building carting the nightstand away. As I rolled the entertainment center out to the sidewalk, our building's maintenance man said he was moving into a new apartment and would love to take the entertainment center off our hands. Since he's really nice and I like him, I said sure and helped him load it into his maintenance truck. The meter maid who was writing a parking ticket for a car parked in front of the fire hydrant lamented, "Man, I should've gotten here earlier!" The only thing left was the computer desk, and just then the DI truck turned the corner onto our street. I told the driver the story and he laughed. He said, "I just like to think the people who got it needed it." With which sentiment I heartily agree.

2 comments:

Driel said...

Chris,

You had to get rid of your big screen TV! That is a bummer, but good that someone else got it:-)

Unknown said...

Glad you made it safe to temecula. We all need to hang out since we're in Escondido now. So how about it?