Saturday, January 26, 2008

Garth!

To paraphrase the late Chris Farley . . . That was AWESOME! We went to a Garth Brooks concert at Staples Center this afternoon. My parents got me tickets for my birthday. Don't worry, my b-day isn't actually until Feb. 20, so you have plenty of time to get me something. I'll post my wish list later.
Anyway, Garth did 5 shows here in L.A. to benefit firefighters, and they were all sold out. We got our tickets through Stub Hub and they were really good seats. We were in the first section on the right side of the stage (if you're looking at it), which meant we were only 50 feet or so away. Again, it was AWESOME! As you can see, I'm still pumped and the concert ended 7 hours ago. He generates and uses so much energy during his performances, and he has a really great connection with the audience (see attached video). He goes out of his way to ensure they're being entertained. He even did two encores! Of course, it helps that he has great songs.



The funniest part is that he does the same shtick at all of his shows. He used the same jokes when he played Central Park, yet they weren't stale because it just let you know what song was coming next, which got you excited. For example, when he introduced the rest of the band, and the audience clapped, he made sure to get up and remind the other band members how he was the Top Dog on the stage and how nobody would ever take top billing over him. Of course, that let us all know Trisha was coming out to sing, which she promptly did. The audience went wild, although I was pretty reserved because that relationship still gives me the willies. After she left, he started talking about how the audience didn't like him anymore, but it was okay because he could just go sit in the corner and play his guitar. So, we all knew he was about to play "Friends in Low Places". It was a really fun concert and I'm so glad I got to see him live.




Just to prove I was there.


And that Lorein was there too.


2 comments:

betsey said...

Oh Garth...I hate country music and I have to say that I would go to a Garth Brooks concert. Who doesn't LOVE, I got friends in Low Places? Reminds me of high school. Glad you guys had fun!!!

Breezy said...

it gives you the willies....HA! thats funny. that is so SWEET!

dude, wren is hott.