Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Our NYC Trip

How come nobody's grateful when I post? I mean, really, if it weren't for me, we wouldn't have much of a blog! Lorein writes one post and all of a sudden everybody's cooking up the fatted calf while I've been here all along, patiently keeping this blog afloat. And it's not like you're giving me everything you have either!
Anyway, Lorein says she's done her piece, so the task of blogging about our NYC trip has fallen to me. I went out there on Tuesday for a training workshop, but it wasn't that much fun until Lorein got there Friday morning (although it's not as if staying at The Ritz was rough). We spent Friday afternoon roaming the streets, primarily around Macy's (imagine that!). We did do some research (by which I mean I looked it up on Wikipedia) into the location of Nero Wolfe's house, and it turns out the address doesn't exist. Not only does it not exist, but if it were a real address, it would be in the Hudson River. And there have never been brownstones on West 35th Street. So, here's a picture of Lorein in front of a brownstone on East 35th Street, and we'll just pretend it's his house. Look everybody, it's Nero Wolfe's house!
After that, we went to a baseball game at Yankee Stadium. I figured we had to make the journey because it is Yankee Stadium's final year, and when we got inside, I could see why. It's an old stadium. The outside is great, but the inside is pretty crummy. It's not even charming, just old. It's also WAY more expensive than I was expecting, and I was expecting expensive! They wanted $4.75 for a 20 oz. bottle of soda!! I also bought $60 tickets thinking they would be pretty decent. I mean, $50 tickets at Dodger Stadium put you in the second level behind home plate. Our Yankees tickets, though, were in the outfield and too far back for a home run. It's a much smaller stadium than Dodger Stadium, however, so it's easy to see why the prices are so high. There's a lot of demand for a small number of seats. We were probably only able to get tickets because the Yankees are in last place. Still, at least now I can say I went to Yankee Stadium.
Saturday was so hot that it was difficult to do too much, but we hit up Central Park and walked around . The best part of the trip, though, came that night. We went and saw "Spamalot". No, Clay Aiken wasn't in it, but it was still hilarious. It easily beats out every other musical I've seen except for Les Mis, and it probably would've beaten that if the second act had been as good as the first. I laughed through the entire show. I absolutely want to see it again.

If Saturday night was the best part of the trip, Sunday night was the worst. Lorein and I were on different flights home because we booked her flight but the firm booked mine. I was scheduled to leave at 7:15, and Lorein at 7:20, with both of us getting to L.A. around 10:30. Well, right around 7p, there was a thunderstorm, which delayed a bunch of flights. Mine was delayed until 7:45 and Lorein's got pushed back a half hour. But then she took off, while my plane didn't even board. Soon, the board said take off would be 8:08, then 8:15. All of a sudden, it jumped to 10. They said the plane needed servicing and they had to bring another plane in. At 10, they said they were trying to get a plane from Syracuse, and they changed the time to 10:30. That became 11:30. Then 12:30. We finally took off at 1:30, which is the exact time I was supposed to be landing in L.A. I got home at 5 in the morning, slept for two hours, and then went to work. Let me tell you, it was not a very productive workday.
The thing that made me the most angry is that American Airlines knew they needed a new plane, yet they still just kept changing the time by 15 min. or half hour increments. It wouldn't have been as frustrating if they just would've said it will be a few hours. The worst though, is that they canceled a bunch of other flights from the gates neighboring mine, and then announced over the loud speaker that they didn't need to pay for anything for those people because the cancellation was due to weather. They couldn't cancel my flight though, because it was due to their plane's problem, so they would've had to pay for our hotels and food. It just showed to me how little they care for their customers. They don't care at all about screwing us around. It was a nightmarish experience. But, to avoid ending this blog on a bad note, here' s a picture of our view from our hotel room (although it's a little cloudy):






11 comments:

Unknown said...

You guys are hillarious! Im an avid reader, but like you, don't post. Hmmm come to think of it... you said you don't post when you have nothing to say, but what about my last entry???? Ummm, you know we don't live in Visalia anymore don't you???? Anyway, how's the 7 mo preggo Lorein? Are you guys getting ready? Im excited for you, but i won't offer any advice. Especially about the time when Dave went to my lamaze class and well, you know. Hope to hear from you guys soon. We can all still be friends right?

The 'Chard said...

I'm grateful, Chris! Keep posting--It's much appreciated.

The 'Chard said...

I agree about the airlines, too. Because they only announce the delays in 15 minute increments, you feel like it's not worth packing up all of your junk to browse the lame shops AGAIN. It's annoying.

Driel said...

Chris, I completely understand. Everyone adores Evan's post, but what about mine (sarcasm). It is rough being married to such fantastic people:-)

Spamalot sounds fun, my kind of musical.

That is horrible about your flight and that you had to go to work 2 hours later. How did you get home?

Kathy said...

Chris
I love the New York trip stories. Good pictures too. Since we never see you it is great to hear what you both are up to.

betsey said...

Excellent recounting of the NYC trip Chris. I'm grateful for your blogging skills and that you have kept up the blog while Lorein slacks. I mean, what does she do all day other than carry your child, prevent you from eating only Taquitos for every meal, and financially supporting the crall family :) Just teasin' So sorry about the horrible flight. That is the worst! But sounds like the hotel was awesome...I'm jealous of that part of the trip!

Beverly said...

Chris Crall...keep posting. My life would be very dull if you stopped posting.

Christopher Crall said...

It's good to finally get the adulation I rightfully deserve.

pms said...

WHOA WHOA WHOA wait a minute! You guys came to NYC and didn't call us? What's that all about? Yeah, I know, you wanted to see and do the city by yourselves... we know. Were you here the weekend of the 7th? That was one gorgeous weekend. We spent the day on the beach. But the airline didn't lie about the storm. The very next day, a man was killed by lightning just 100 feet from the pavillion where we had been the day before!

Just a thought about being pregnant and NYers. We go to NYC every December to see the sites and Santa etc. A few years ago we were in "two stroller" mode and were a bit antzy about pushing two and walking two thru the busy streets at Christmastime... but it was amazing... people would come up to us and ask if they were all ours. They would say "god bless you!". The sidewalks full of people would part when they saw us stuggling with four kids... it really surprised me.

Then... the next summer, we took the kids down to the Joseph SMith building to see the newest movie... Testaments maybe... don't remember. So, with two kids in ONE stroller this time we are working our way out of the theatre and are clearly going to need the elevator, not stairs. We are patiently waiting our turn and when the door opened some MAN (all by himself mind you) pushes his way in front of us! (Just felt like sharing that with you.)

So Christopher... you are coming back to NY? I will be there June 27-28th. It's a secret so keep mum... Scott bought Mallory and three of her friends tickets to see Little Mermaid on Broadway. We are staying at one of the Marriotts on Broadway. Are you going to be there that weekend?

Christopher Crall said...

No, I'm not going to be there the 27th. I fly in tomorrow and then I'm flying back out on Friday.
We were in NYC the weekend of the 7th, but I didn't think it was gorgeous -- I just thought it was HOT!! Lorein was dying. We just had to sit on a bench in Central Park for awhile until we had to go to dinner; it was too hot to do anything.

pms said...

All perspective I suppose! For us to have a beach day in early June... unheard of!

It was hot though, the kids are still in school until the end of this week. It normally doesn't get that hot, so 80% of the schools here aren't air conditioned. It was so hot they had to have half days of school that next Monday and Tuesday. And get this... Riley's field trip TO the beach was cancelled... Why.. because it was TOO HOT! So I guess it wasn't just you.