Monday, June 9, 2008

Upstate New York vs. NYC

From the perspective of a 7-month pregnant woman who has a sister living in upstate New York, I say give me an upstate New York vacation any day over New York City. (Just in case anyone is planning a vacation for when they're 7-months pregnant.) We just got back from NYC this past weekend and I went to visit my fantastic sister Jeanette and her family the weekend before that. The weather was better when I was in upstate New York, and I got to spend time with my adorable nephews and nieces and my sister and her husband Wyman. They took me to some of the church historical sights in Palmyra like the Hill Cumorah, the Smith Farm, and the Grandin Printing Press. We even went to Niagara Falls, which was absolutely beautiful. My sister Jeanette has 4 little ones (3 of them are age 3 and under) and she is an absolutely amazing mom. I was amazed by everything she did and how patient she was. I felt so welcomed and at home with them. I know that could possibly be because we're family. If Chris had just been able to go with me it would have been perfect. And of course even though I had a great time and I was looking forward to seeing Chris when I got home, I still cried when I left because I wish that I lived closer to Jeanette and her family. Pregnancy hormones I'm sure:-)

Don't get me wrong. I liked visiting NYC too, but it was more than this old pregnant woman could handle at times. The weather was in the 90's and very humid when we were there and of course there is always a lot of walking involved. I had to plan my restroom breaks well so that I didn't end up in a horrible public restroom...not that easy when you're seven months pregnant and supposed to be drinking tons of water. On the bright side, it did bring back memories from when Chris and I visited NYC while we lived in Washington, DC three and a half years ago. And if you thought New Yorkers were notorious for not being friendly try visiting when you're pregnant and you might change your mind. We had lots of people who wanted to offer advice, congratulations, and Chris even had a man tell him about the time he saved his son's life because he went to his Lamaze classes with his wife. Good times, but it's nice to be home:-)

Niagara Falls
The card my cute nephew gave me--the inside
says: "Dear Lorein Thanks you for coming over"
Soooo cute!

9 comments:

Kent said...

As you both know very well, I can empathize with the need to find a public restroom in NYC. I can only hope that you had better luck finding one than I did.

Interestingly enough, Melanie and I will be going to upstate New York in a week - a Freeze family reunion. We'll also be seeing all of the church history sites - I'll have to see if we can make it over to Niagara Falls as well.

Kent

Karl D. said...

Lorein,

Glad you made it out there. Palmyra is a lot of fun. It is really beautiful out there. The girls really like visiting Jeanette and visiting the sites.

I like New York City as well (although as far a big cities go I will always be a Chicago guy). Great restaraurants (I am afraid restaurant options are a little better in NYC than Palmyra. Although Kristi and I have a favorite in Upstate New York). Last time I was there I presented a paper at the NYSE. The NYSE is very cool.

My biggest complaint with NYC: Taxis. I think you have to be way better looking than me to easily get a cab.

Breezy said...

awwww lorein i cried when i wrote what you said about leaving upstate new york...i wish she lived closer too!

i cried for karl too. taxis shouldn't discriminate:)

Karl D. said...

Breezy, sometimes I try to convince myself that the lack of taxi's last time I went had to do with the public transportation workers strike. But then, I bet you (or Justin for that matter) wouldn't have had trouble getting a cab even with the strike ...

Phyllis said...

Great post of your recent travels.
We really always wish that we could visit more, and that Palmyra was not so far away from the rest of the family, but Jeanette and family always make the trip great!
It was super that you were able to take in Niagara Falls as well.

betsey said...

I love a post from Lorein. You don't post enough. It is nice to hear about the NYC vs. New York from the perspective of 7 month pregnant Lorein. I remember that by month 7, I felt just HUGE and hot and tired and disgusting all the time.

You need to elaborate about how lamaze saved that guys kids life (?). Has a stranger touched your belly yet? People love to talk to (and touch) fat pregnant ladies. It only increases after you have the baby.

I miss you guys!

Lorein said...

Kent, we thought of you many times on our trip:-) Especially when we passed the subway stop in Harlem where you ate that dreaded fried chicken.

Karl, that's too funny about the taxis. We took a cab once from the hotel and even with two bellmen whistling for cabs it still took a while to get one. They're usually lined up waiting outside the hotel, but not when we needed one. Clearly Chris and I didn't pass the good looks test either. Next time we'll take Breezy or Justin.

Betsey, Chris agrees with you that I don't post enough=) We miss you guys! Hope everything in the Cleve is going well. We need to call you guys and catch up and Chris can tell you the story about the Lamaze guy. No strangers in NYC touched my tummy but I've had quite a few in LA. It's funny how your stomach suddenly becomes public domain when you're pregnant.

Thanks for sympathizing with my emotional crying Mom and Breezy!!

Driel said...

That is funny that everyone wanted to give you advice in NYC! I wish that we all lived closer. It would be so much fun.

Melanie said...

I am glad you had two nice vacations. Your family sounds dang awesome. Way to be a hardcore pregnant woman, adventurous to the end!