Thursday, March 27, 2008

Charlotte Bronte . . . or J.K. Rowling?

I started reading Jane Eyre today. I know it's a chick book, but I'm a sucker for Victorian novels. As I read the first few chapters, I was struck by something that I just had to share. For those of you haven't yet read it, Jane is an orphan who is sent to live with her Mother's brother. The uncle is kind, but then he dies. On his death bed, he makes his wife (Jane's aunt) promise to take care of Jane. The aunt does so, but she is very mean to Jane and treats her as an ungrateful freeloader. No matter how Jane tries to please her aunt, she only receives criticism and punishment. Jane sleeps in a closet and isn't allowed to participate in the Christmas parties at the house or get any presents. The aunt also has three kids who are unkind to Jane. The oldest is a dumb, fat boy who beats Jane up. He's actually a bully to everybody, including his mom, but she ignores all his faults and thinks he's one of the nicest boys ever. He's even mean to his schoolmaster, who tells his mom he is too fat, but she just thinks he's homesick, so she brings him home and coddles him some more. Finally, when Jane turns 10, a man comes to the house to take her away to school. While the school itself is austere, the superintendent is a nice woman who takes a kindly interest in Jane and assures her her life will now be better. The school becomes Jane's home for the next 8 years since her aunt doesn't want her to come back, not even for holidays. At the school, the children are divided into four classes with a teacher at the head of each one. Does any of this sound familiar? IT'S HARRY POTTER!! I noticed some similarities early on, but with each successive page, it just got more and more bizarre. Not that I think J.K. Rowling plagiarized, but I thought I would've at least heard somewhere that Jane Eyre was an inspiration to her. I mean, did nobody else notice the similarities? And by similarities, I mean IT'S THE EXACT SAME THING (minus the magic). Jane's best friends were even named Hermione and Ron! Just kidding.

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

Chris you are right! I read it so many years ago, that I had forgotten how close they are.

Breezy said...

i know!! i read it when i was like 10 so i did not even notice but your totally right!!

geez jk...how original.