Friday, March 28, 2008

I was right, but I doubt Lorein will admit it

I told Lorein not to overreach -- to avoid overconfidence and hubris -- but she insisted on applying female pronouns to our baby. "She" this and "her" that. Lorein argued emphatically that she felt strongly it was a girl. Amazingly, all of her sisters felt the same. Me, I stuck with gender-neutral "it" or "baby". Lorein would get mad: "She's not an 'it'! She's a girl!" Well, guess what, Lorein. It's not a girl! It's a boy! And I'm going to tell him that you kept calling him a girl so that he'll like me more than you! I'm also going to tell him you complain all the time about being pregnant, but I've never complained once about having a baby. He'll never forgive you! Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go buy a baseball glove, a basketball, and a football.
Oh, I almost forgot. Lorein wants the record to show that she knows of two couples who had an ultrasound, learned the sex of the baby, and then later -- either at birth or a second ultrasound -- found out the first technician was wrong. Geez Lorein, give it up already!
Please notice the masculine jaw and the already flexing muscles. Lorein also wants me to point out that the technician said he has my "fat cheeks". That's okay, just more ammunition for me. Lorein, I will let him know you spent his gestation-hood insulting his cheeks.

7 comments:

The 'Chard said...

Congratulations! I guess this means that Baby Hawkins and Baby Crall will have to get married if they ever want to be roommates.

Breezy said...

its a girl chris...medicinal officials are always full of it.

they have techno mumbo jumbo...i have women's intuition.

pms said...

Congratulations!

We have a friend who does ultrasounds. He says that no matter what he TELLS the parents regarding gender, he always writes the opposite in the file. That way, when they come back to tell him he was "wrong" (which they only do if he WAS wrong), he can show them what he wrote in the file and tells them that they just heard what they wanted to hear.

Phyllis said...

pms comment is pricless! One of your best traits is what a good winner you are, Chris.

Beverly said...

yay! Congratulations!

Clare said...

I'm excited for you both to be having a boy. I loved when we got our ultrasound with Cami. Hope your bladder wasn't in too much distress.

Jess said...

Wow, a little Chris. I don't know that the world is quite ready for that. A girl at my work had three techs tell her she was having a girl and she ended up having a boy. Don't rub it in too much, you still could be wrong!