Monday, July 7, 2008

Carter Archie Crall

So, forget about that pregnancy timeline at the top of this page. It turns out the reason why Lorein was in too much pain to post last night was because SHE WAS IN LABOR! She had contractions a lot on Saturday, but they went away during the night. Then, they started up again before church on Sunday, but we just thought it was pre-labor. When we were timing the contractions Sunday afternoon, they averaged around 40 seconds. She never got to a minute. They intensified around 9 Sunday night and she couldn't sleep. At 2:20, she woke me up because she couldn't deal with the contractions by herself anymore. We again started timing, and again they averaged only 40 seconds or so. It had us really confused that the contractions weren't hitting a minute. That's what kept us believing it was just pre-labor. That, and the fact that the baby wasn't supposed to come for 3 1/2 more weeks! The contractions were coming so close together though -- about every two minutes -- that we finally decided to go to the hospital just to get it checked out. We really weren't expecting much. In fact, we left all our stuff in the car because we were sure they were just going to send us back home.
Lorein was really struggling to get into the hospital because the contractions were so bad, and then the nurse that was checking her in took her sweet time. She was probably the slowest person ever. And I really mean that. Lorein was lying there screaming and the nurse was only worried about buttoning her gown. She even told Lorein to stop screaming because she was going to need her energy for the long night ahead. Finally, a midwife came in, did an exam, and said, "This woman's ready to deliver. Get her to a room now." So, we threw Lorein on a gurney and motored toward the room. She was still having really bad contractions and while we were rolling, the midwife asked if Lorein was ready to push and she replied yes. We got her to the room and onto the delivery bed and the midwife said, "Ok, on this next contraction, push." Lorein pushed, and the top of the baby's head appeared. A few more pushes later, and baby popped out. We got to the hospital at 3:45 and the baby was born at 4:29. Yeah, less than 45 minutes. That means Lorein did the whole freakin' thing at home. She's insane. But like I said, we just couldn't figure out why the contractions weren't hitting a minute!
And that's how Carter (my middle name and my grandpa's name) Archie (after Archie Goodwin of Nero Wolfe fame) Crall (our last name) came into the world. He was 19 inches, and 6 lbs., 14 oz. He's been a great baby, although he does have these super-long Wolverine fingernails that he keeps scratching himself with.

30 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Ohmygoodness HE IS SO CUTE!!!! And way to go Lorein, I can't believe you did labor with no pain meds....you're crazy girl!

Unknown said...

Good job guys. Super awesome. So what did you think when the baby came out and took its first breath and cried? Pretty cool feeling.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy said...

Oh so cute! You are an amazing woman, Lorein. Way to labor the entire time at home. I love the pictures, especially when he is sleeping on your chest! He is adorable.

Breezy said...

LOREIN and CHRIS. he is absolutly perfect. he is so gorgeous and i ca not wait to see him. im so happy for you lorein!! congratualtions. ya did good.:) he is so beautiful!!!

Breezy said...

and dannnng girl...you look fine! you just had labor and you are still beautiful...no wonder your kid is cute.:)

Driel said...

Yahooo!!!! He is adorable! He looks so perfect. He does not look mushed at all. Wow! Good job, Lorein. I made Evan stay with me for 10.5 hours of labor because I could not do it without him. You are amazing!!!!

Melanie said...

Lorein and Chris, you are incredible people. Lorein, I find myself really inspired by you. Carter looks like a nice, good-looking guy. I hope I get to meet him someday. Congratulations.

Kent said...

Congratulations you guys! I'm so happy that everything went so smoothly - I'm especially glad that you decided to go to the hospital, just in case! That's a pretty funny birth story that I'm sure Carter will enjoy hearing on every birthday of his.

pms said...

HOLY COW! What a story. You are awesome Lorein, that is the way to do it... it only gets easier from here.

Cooper mimicked Chris' first words "yes! They can come to the cabin!".

We are so excited for you. Congrats and we can't wait to meet Carter.

Beverly said...

WOW! Awesome! I am so happy for you two! And Lorein, you look absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations on the amazing gift!!!

SGarff said...

Congrats. You guys are parents now. Is Hughes Hubbard going to give you paternity leave? Lorein, you are tough as nails. We never would have guessed on Sat that you were that close. Hope all is well

The 'Chard said...

Hooray! Good job, Lorein! Carter is one lucky baby!

The 'Chard said...

BTW, Carter is a cutie. Nora told me she wants to be his friend.

Unknown said...

Holy cow! Congrats! Lorein, you're such a trooper! Little Carter is so cute. Im super excited to meet him someday! Just like Nora, Matthew wants to be his friend too. They can play golf together, and buy eachother soda afterwards! Yeah! Congrats guys!

Anonymous said...

congratulations guys! he looks adorable! what a craaazy story, lorein you are amazing!

April Celeste Garff said...

I hope you didn't splurge for the expensive room since you weren't in labor very long...

CONGRADULATIONS on becoming official parents!!!

Erica said...

Congraulations! I thought I was in pain and I was only at 5cm when I got to the hospital, you must be tough :)

Sine family said...

So fun. Congrats. I'm glad you made it to the hospital in time. Wow 29 days early. Keep the pictures coming.

Allison said...

Congratulations Crall Family! What wonderful news. We are so excited for you.

Katie said...

holy congratulations! you are a tropper Lorein! carter is as adorable as could be. and i absolutely love that archie goodwin has a namesake.

congratulations!!!!

Clare said...

Way to go Wrenny. I wish I could have labored more at home - not that I necessarily would have done it without any meds - but Cami had to go and punch my water. Anyway, congrats you too. Carter is beautiful.

Brian and Ezinne's World said...

WOW great labor story! congrats on the new addition you guys are going to have so much fun!!! Also what a great name you gave him!

Diana said...

YAY! I can't believe your story. That's amazing! He's absolutely beautiful. And so are you, Lorein! Congratulations! I thought I had more time to send your present (which I DO have), but I guess not. Look for something blue in the mail!

betsey said...

I'm SO HAPPY for you guys!!!! we CAN'T wait to see more pictures and to see this adorable little guy in person! Lorein, you are officially my hero! How can you look just BEAUTIFUL after giving birth WITHOUT an epidural?!?!?!? You are AMAZING!!

JustinDiether said...

Congrats Wren. Congrats Chris.

Carter is very cute by the way.
Of course that is expected.

I love the fact that you left your
stuff in the car and 45 minutes
you have the baby. Chris, nice writeup.

Wren your such a natural at this
birthing stuff you might have to
have twins or something to keep
it interesting.

Wren you look great in the pictures.

Rich and Cheryl said...

Wren you are awesome. Congrats. When you feel up to it you have to call me and tell me all about it.

David Crowther said...

Chris and Lorein, it makes my heart happy to know that someone is finally having intelligent children that will amount to something in this life! Now that I have royally pissed off all your married friends who have children and may be reading this I say, congratulations. I am very happy for you two, pardon ... you three. I have all the confidence that you will be fantastic parents. Good luck.

Jess said...

OH MY GOODNESS! He is SO cute! I can't wait to see more pictures of him. CONGRATS!!

Jan said...

CONGRATULATIONS Lorein! You did an awesome job! Not all contractions last a minute or even come every couple minutes. Our bodies are all different, but they do what they're suppose to do when we let them, so way to go!!