Thursday, November 6, 2008

Voting

A couple of times I've thought it would be neat to participate in a transformational election where people stand in line for hours to cast their vote. You know, like the elections you see on BBC World News where people trek from miles away and there is a palpable excitement surrounding the whole affair. I thought it would be a great experience to actually have to sacrifice to vote -- that it would show people how important the whole process is. Well, on Tuesday, we got to our polling station at 8:30ish and the line stretched out the door, down the sidewalk, around the corner, along the building, and then out into the parking lot; we stood in line for just over an hour. I can now officially say that standing in line for a long time to vote is not neat. There was none of the excitement of an election where it's the first time the people have gotten to vote in decades, and all I got was a sore back from standing still with Carter in the baby carrier. When I drove by an hour later and saw there were only five people in line, I realized that's the true American way to make one's voice heard, and the method I will be using in the future. No more of this voting at peak polling time!
Anyway, here's a picture of Carter enjoying his life in the lap of luxury.

5 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Dang Carter is HUGE! How about them Utes? FO UTES! BYU is next!
P.S. I purposely did not send you text messages about the game tonight, and your blog has become my new forum!

Shari said...

carter is so cute. he's got it made.

Phyllis said...

You don't have early voting?

betsey said...

Seriously, Carter is SO BIG! When did that happen?

Kathy said...

Yeah, no peak voting for me either! Go when everybody is getting the kids to school, it's the best. Carter is looking good! What a life.